Now that you know more about my job situation, it's time to present you with the awful dilemma that I am facing.
When I came here, I was supposed to work for a year, and then move to Athens, to start specialising as a pathologist. Unexpectedly, due to other people declining the Athens job, my turn has come! I am now expected to resign, and go there within this month.
If I fail to be present by the deadline I was given, I am immediately deleted from the waiting list. This sounds awful, doesn't it? But the thing is not as bad as it sounds. Actually, I can write my name again and wait until a new position is available. Due to the fact that residencies last for a specific amount of time and not even one day more, it is very easy and safe to estimate when the next employee will leave, thus leaving his place empty for me to fill. This is going to happen in July 2010.
On the other hand, if I take the job offer in Athens, I am still obliged to work as an agricultural doctor for a year, after I finish my residency (after 5 years). The bad thing is that I cannot avoid this. The good thing is that, 6 1/2 years after my graduation, I will have gathered plenty of points and I will be able to get whichever place in Greece I will choose!
So, what do I do? Stay here in Mytilene, in surroundings that have become familiar by now, do my agricultural obligation, earn some good money without too much effort and avoid moving again (this will be my 4th move within this year)? The Athens job will not be lost - it will just have to wait for another year.
Or move to Athens, ensure my financial security for the next 5 years and then, with plenty of points gathered, do my agricultural duty? After all, laws here change all the time, and it may not even be obligatory to do so by that time.
On one hand, we have Mytilene, its quiet way of life, the flexible working hours and the opportunity to postpone the binding decision of getting a specialty for a year. On the other hand, we have Athens, the security of having a job for 5 years, its hectic way of life, but also with possibilities that never end. Lastly, I should mention that my grandparents live in Athens. I will by no means live with them, but I guess they will be there for me if I need help in case of a possible breakdown (after all, I am still recovering from the winter events and the so called "break"/ actual breakup).
What would you do, my dear readers? Please help!
PS: There is one last thing I should mention. I wouldn't write about it at all, because I think that no serious job decision should be based on a "possibility". Facts are facts. However, if I am going to describe the whole situation to you, I should tell you that there is a chance of having something here in Mytilene, emotionally speaking. Things are quite unstable right now, and I am still adapting to the "single" life and getting over things - so one cannot possibly tell how I will react in case a harmless flirting becomes something more. I may not even be ready for this yet - let alone take it into account when deciding what to do! But for the sake of full disclosure, I thought I should mention it too.
Thanks for your insightful comments and helpful input - in advance.